Thursday 27 May 2010

Very rare Suffragette tea set

I know this is not really related to the subjects in my blog, but I thought this was so wonderful I just had to share it. As you can see it's a tea set for one made in the form of rather ugly women. When I first saw this I knew exactly what it was; although in the auction I bought it from it was described as an Alice in Wonderland tea set and another person viewing said it was Queen Victoria. You can see it has nothing to do with Alice and Queen Victoria was really well respected, that I doubt she would be depicted so. It was the colours that told me what it was.
The Suffragettes, during their fight for the right to vote, adopted the secret colours of green (G), white (W) and violet (V). Give Women Votes. Often worn in the form of jewellery or worn as clothes, it was a code so you could see who else believed in your principles.
I believe the flower motif around the rims might have some meaning, but I haven't been able to find details of that. The set is made from bisque, an unglazed porcelain, although the insides are glazed. Probably German and dating from the very early 1900s.
There were a number of souvenirs made representing these women and mainly they were very much in the derogative style. Showing the women as ugly and mad!
The campaign reached it's peak during 1912, if you want to read more about it click here. It was the work and effort that women did during the first world war that resulted in a percentage of them being given the vote in 1918. It wasn't until 1928 that they were finally given the same voting rights as men!
Have you ever seen this set before? I can not find it listed anywhere, I would love to find other examples so I could find out what it is worth. I think I will live with it for a while until I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment